Friday 17 August 2012

Sweet Potato Curry

Here's a couple of freshly dug up sweet potato's to make a quick vege curry. (In case you're wondering, only one has been peeled.) When dealing with home grown produce, it's easier to just follow your instincts rather than trying to follow a recipe with specific quantities. So I just cubed up the sweet potato's along with an old potato that was just laying around.
My curries always start with plenty of sliced onion - the more the better for me - lightly fried in vegetable oil. To make the curry, my staple ingredients are garlic, ginger, cummin seed, chilly and coriander. Once these are fried, it's in with the vegetables, some stock and tomatoes. I also add a can of four bean mix for a bit of added interest. Cook it up for as long as it takes to prepare some rice. To thicken the curry, I just take a couple of cups out and whiz it up with my Bamix stick blender and return it to the mix.

The non home grown ingredients would cost a couple of dollars and it was enough for about 6 hungry paddock workers.


Obviously, the dish is best served with a hearty cabernet sauvignon.



No comments:

Post a Comment