Tuesday 2 October 2012

Leftover Pastry


OK, so if you made something like a Mulberry Pie recently, you may have some pastry leftover. I always do. So here's a couple of things you could do:
First thing I'd do is to see if I have enough to fill a flan dish - which I did. Then the little bits get rolled out and made into jam drop pastries. Jam drops have a life expectancy of around 9 seconds at the Cubby House - less if the kiddies are circling. You can freeze your flan if you want. It won't mind, but I decided on a Real Man quiche. Here's what I did:
I do like a bit of roast vege for a filling. In this dish were potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, capsicum, garlic and tomatoes. All got drizzled with olive oil, roasted then chopped up to go in the pastry shell. Then it's just a matter of about 4 eggs whisked up with enough milk or cream to fill up your flan. A bit of grated cheese on top is nice then bang it into the oven for a while. 

I was going to slice a sausage that the Responsible Adult had left over from last night, but Our Youngest found it first and didn't even leave the bones. So I chopped up a bit of bacon and fried it for her half (I like my cows, pigs and sheep to be wandering the paddock rather than sliding past my tonsils)

When you think it's done, stick a knife into it to make sure it's set. You should end up with something like this (although I'm sure your presentation would be better)
Bit of salad on the side and a nice Shiraz with Mulberry Pie for pud. Serving up grub like this to your Responsible Adult will greatly assist your sexual desirability - but to be certain, make sure you have another bottle of Shiraz on hand.

1 comment:

  1. It was so good - the food too xx
    The Responsible Adult

    ReplyDelete