Friday 7 September 2012

Snakes Alive!

Frank the Carpet Python


Crikey! It's warmed up and I can't seem to step outside without tripping over a snake. The main species we get here are whip, tree, black and carpet. Occasionally we get brown and tiger snakes but I don't hang around for a positive ID on those. Frank is our generic name for large Carpet Pythons that hang around the house. They are pretty harmless for humans but nice and deadly for rats and (unfortunately) chooks. I lost my last two chooks to a fat old python. They can also be a bit annoying around your pot plants.

Bloody Frank mucking up my Orchid
 Anyway, apart from chook loss, it's handy to have a Python hanging around to tidy up the rodent population in an Eco-friendly, no mess manner. Frank has had family at the house paddock and raised a lovely bunch of baby snakes in recent years - so I guess there must be more than one Frank living here. Not sure - they all look the same to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment