Sunday 9 September 2012

Whats on the Kindle - Cormac McCarthy

Hmmm, thought I'd have a break before finishing the Regeneration trilogy and turned to one of America's most respected authors. Well ....... it started off as a 3 guys out on a bar-be-que type story for the first third. As the likely lads cross from Texas to Mexico, one of them chats to the locals in Spanish (the book had no subtitles and I was too lazy to type it all into Google translate). It also takes a while to get used to the lack of punctuation, but it's no big deal.

From this ambling start comes the Cormac McCarthy touch of fairly nasty things happening to our heroes as they become victims of events. I found it a bit hard to believe when the main character - who appeared to be sparse in communication and language suddenly had a lengthy and lyrical philosophical epithany. 

I was pretty much over it by the end. Not a happy read - but it is Cormac McCarthy so it should get a quote:   “I can normally tell how intelligent a man is by how stupid he thinks I am.” 

I think there's something in that for all of us .........

No comments:

Post a Comment